Garden (46) Sewing (39) House (32) Chickens (27) Pregnancy (27) Me (26) Flowers (18) Vegetables (18) Landscaping (17) Wedding! (17) Fruit (15) Job (15) GRASS (13) Trees (12) Fit (11) Knitting (11) Slimming (11) #100HappyDays (10) Mess (10) Plants (10) Rain (9) Bag (8) Cooking (7) Pests (6) Wool (6) Baby (5) Eggs (5) Money (5) Random Craft (5) Running (5) Sewing Room (5) Creepy Crawlies (4) Crochet (4) Cross Stitch (4) Decorating (4) Doggy! (4) Gym (4) New Mum (4) Orchid (4) Shop (4) Shopping (4) University (4) Wine (4) Breastfeeding (3) Christmas (3) Dressmaking (3) Food (3) Painting (3) Damsons (2) Fox (2) Health (2) Pinterest (2) Review (2) Squawking (2) Wildlife (2) parenthood (2) BBQ! (1) Gadgets (1) Labour (1) Music (1) Tutorial (1)

Tuesday, 29 July 2014

A Rather Red Lounge

6 months we have lived here now, and last week we FINALLY finished decorating one room!!! It has really taken that long.... God.

I didn't actually take a picture of the lounge before we started which was very silly and unlike me! So the only one we have was from the estate agents when the people before lived here, and how they had it set up which is completely different to us.

It needed an awful lot of work . The first week we moved in I started stripping wallpaper. There must have been about 5 or 6 layers on the walls in total, the last few absolutely welded on... months into this Andy, our VERY useful and helpful neighbour let us borrow his steam stripper.. OMG I wish we knew about that sooner, all that wasted time wetting and scraping one tiny bit off at a time... 

We then went on to have it re-plastered/skimmed, it was a complete mess underneath and we just wanted to paint so thought were'd do it properly straight from the off. 

Following this, it then took a base layer or magnolia then 4 layers of colour before we were happy with it (and 4 white coats on the ceiling). To begin with we were using a mixed Valspar colour from B&Q. It was shit. don't buy it... was so thin and sticky all it did was leave roller marks all over the wall. Andy said it was the worst paint he'd ever used!

After 3 coats of that, we changed the colour to a Crown Centre mixed colour. wasn't quite the same but close enough. One coat of that and done. Thank you, finally!

Next stop, getting rid of the old (and now ruined) vinyl. 6 weeks ago we first brought carpet both for the sewing room and lounge. And what a saga that has turned out to be. First we couldn't get hold of them and it took ages for it to be ordered and to get into the warehouse. then when it did get there, the carpet fitter went to collect it and found that the lounge carpet was too small - not what we ordered. Just to top it off the company have now gone into liquidation so we can't even get a refund, or accept only one of the carpets. we had to refuse both and I'm in the process of claiming though my credit card... Thank god I paid for it on that! As is had taken this long to get this far already we decided to go and buy another carpet just so we could finish the room. 

All that's missing is the back speakers to make up the surround sound, new curtains, a large cuddler swivel chair and a table to put drinks on. Yay!!! 

It was worth the time and hard work. 

Now hopefully the credit card claim won't take too long so that we can get on and sort the carpet for the sewing room! Then after that, Second bedroom here we come - Scott needs to sort his junk though first!

No comments:

Post a Comment