Garden (46) Sewing (39) House (32) Chickens (27) Pregnancy (27) Me (26) Flowers (18) Vegetables (18) Landscaping (17) Wedding! (17) Fruit (15) Job (15) GRASS (13) Trees (12) Fit (11) Knitting (11) Slimming (11) #100HappyDays (10) Mess (10) Plants (10) Rain (9) Bag (8) Cooking (7) Pests (6) Wool (6) Baby (5) Eggs (5) Money (5) Random Craft (5) Running (5) Sewing Room (5) Creepy Crawlies (4) Crochet (4) Cross Stitch (4) Decorating (4) Doggy! (4) Gym (4) New Mum (4) Orchid (4) Shop (4) Shopping (4) University (4) Wine (4) Breastfeeding (3) Christmas (3) Dressmaking (3) Food (3) Painting (3) Damsons (2) Fox (2) Health (2) Pinterest (2) Review (2) Squawking (2) Wildlife (2) parenthood (2) BBQ! (1) Gadgets (1) Labour (1) Music (1) Tutorial (1)

Tuesday, 26 January 2016

Caravan Cushion Covers

I haven't done much sewing recently, let alone blogged about it. I can't remember if I mentioned it before but for a long time I was slowly working on doing come upholstering. The neighbours brought a caravan last summer and wanted the cushion covers spruced up a bit. I can't blame them, they looks so old fashioned and dirty looking.

That's the only before photo I took, but as you can see, not very inspiring. This is a back cushion, the seat cushions were bigger and more shaped than this. In total there were 8 to do, 4 of which were larger (seating area is bigger on one side of the caravan than the other).

There is a shop near here that sells fabric on the roll for stupid prices! I think the fabric Emma picked up was like £7.50 and I covered the whole lot without being careful of wastage and there was still over half a roll left. I wouldn't have chosen the fabric myself but for that price you can't complain!

I didn't hate this project but it certainly had plenty of downsides what could have made me hate it. First of all they stank. And were really messy inside so every one I took apart I had to hoover them off and then my sewing room. I also needed loads of room to lie it all out and cut my pattern pieces. For a while I used our bedroom as we were part way though decorating so had no furniture in there. I somewhat cheated too by using the old covers for my pattern pieces and instead of spending more money on wadding. The problem with this though; my sewing machine really didn't like the thickness and a broke a few needles in the process.

The most expensive part was all the buttons. I fabric covered them so they matched like the originals and then laced them through to the back with a large darning needle. That was probably the worst bit. After one single cushion I thought my fingers were going to fall off and I got cramp. The foam is sprung and some of the buttons passed right by them making is really difficult. Got there in the end though...

I never particularly liked hand stitching and I hand finished all of these. However, after fighting it though my sewing machine then fighting to get the buttons though, I found the hand sewing quite relaxing and therapeutic!

Looks better I think! The top photo shows how they are not perfect but for a first attempt (and I did them for free), I don't think they're too bad. Emma did the curtains and overall they make it look much cleaner and brighter. I wouldn't rush to do them again but at the same time, It's nice to see them all done!

No comments:

Post a Comment