Labels

Garden (46) Sewing (38) House (32) Chickens (27) Me (25) Pregnancy (25) Flowers (18) Vegetables (18) Landscaping (17) Wedding! (17) Fruit (15) Job (14) GRASS (13) Trees (12) Fit (11) Slimming (11) #100HappyDays (10) Mess (10) Plants (10) Knitting (9) Rain (9) Bag (8) Cooking (7) Pests (6) Wool (6) Eggs (5) Money (5) Random Craft (5) Running (5) Sewing Room (5) Creepy Crawlies (4) Crochet (4) Cross Stitch (4) Decorating (4) Doggy! (4) Gym (4) Orchid (4) Shop (4) Shopping (4) University (4) Wine (4) Christmas (3) Dressmaking (3) Food (3) Painting (3) Damsons (2) Fox (2) Health (2) Pinterest (2) Review (2) Squawking (2) Wildlife (2) BBQ! (1) Gadgets (1) Music (1) Tutorial (1)

Friday, 4 November 2016

New kitchen!

We have been planning to do the kitchen ever since we moved in, it has taken this long to finally do something about it.

The first thing we did was take out the back door and replace it with patio doors



We also replaced the window but that was like for like so wont bother showing you that! The next step was to start ripping out the old kitchen. I did most of this bit and I found I found it pretty satisfying!

before we moved in

Deconstruction commences!

As you can see from this picture, there was A LOT of wiring, most of which didn't do anything, or was live but not connected! Nightmare! We managed to pull a few favours so a good friend I know from school did the electrics for us. We had the whole kitchen rewired and in hindsight, If we hadn't had many of the other rooms re-plastered and redecorated, we probably would have rewired the whole house.



Yes, I enjoyed breaking up the place!
The electrics was by far the worse bit! It was the messiest and we were on a really tight time frame as Sean was only with us for the weekend before he had to go back to work. After an immense clean up and putting the walls back together, we were finally ready to start putting it back together again!





New oak worktops and sink!! This was a major turning point as we would finally function as a kitchen again! A week without a kitchen was a killer! We were constantly cooking and cleaning up round our neighbours so to finally be able to use our own again was lush! Lucky we have great neighbours really!

The next step was to decide what we were going to do with the walls. Picking a wall colour was easy for the kitchen end as we just found a neutral colour to match the cupboards. We were originally just going to have upstands and paint the walls. However, we didn't really anticipate how much work the walls would need for that. To be honest I always wanted tiles so the decision to revert to tiles was easy for me. Picking them wasn't though! without having a definite picture for the floor too it was difficult to know what to pick, we get there in the end though...



The flooring was particularly tricky too as we wanted it to continue through the hallway to the front of the house, therefore it had to be quite universal. We did think about slate tiles but it wouldn't have worked in the hallway and didn't want a join in the flooring. In the end we went for laminate and it was by far the best decision, I love it!!


I laid the floor with Andy post night shift which was interesting, enjoyed it though. I hated walking on the concrete!!



It's still not finished but it certainly feels like a normal kitchen again. The screen will be mounted on the wall behind where it's currently standing. We haven't finished the dining area behind where I'm stood to take the pictures. We will probably make a feature wall of the back dining area wall by picking out the blue of the tiles. the rest of the walls will be the neutral colour like behind the cupboards.We also need to tidy up around the windows. In the process of laying the floor we had to pull up all the skirting boards in the hallway, at the same time I thought it a good idea to take of the wall paper, upstairs including!

In other words... there will ALWAYS be something to do!

So worth all the hard work though!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis